The Pena National Palace is in São Pedro de Penaferrim, municipality of Sintra, Portugal. The palace stands on the top of a hill above the town of Sintra, and on a clear day it can be easily seen from Lisbon and much of its metropolitan area.
Is the most complete and notable example of Portuguese Romantic architecture. Built about 500 meters, dates back to 1839, when King Consort Dom Fernando II of Saxe Coburg-Gotha (1816-1885) bought the ruins of the Hieronymus Monastery of Our Lady of Pena and started to adapt the palace. Extremely fanciful architecture Pena uses the "reasons" Moorish, Gothic and Manueline, but also the Wagnerian spirit of the Schinkel castles central Europe.